Weekends

Thoughts and comments on things Malaysian mostly, and on the English Premier League and the World occasionally.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Tonight's Match - Arsenal vs. Manchester United

The last time they met , I titled my post about the game as The Big Game - Gunners vs. Red Devils. Indeed it was big for all the wrong reasons.

This time around, I told myself, that I should not get caught in the usual hype suurrounding the game and try to be more neutral in reviewing tonight's game. Fortunately, I chanced upon a report in Reuters UK online on what ManYoo's Gary Neville's thoughts about the game were. I thought his comments were fair and will suit the tenor of this post. So here are excerpts of what he said -

"People keep talking about Arsenal and Manchester United but at the moment we should be talking about trying to catch Chelsea," Neville told reporters on Monday.

"That is our most important objective towards the end of the season and that starts with our league game against Arsenal, as it does for Arsenal, because they still believe they can win the league, and so do we.


"Arsenal are one of the best teams in Europe so we have a very difficult game, but we are in a good run of form and the confidence couldn't be higher," Neville added.

"We are aware of what we need to do and I just have a sneaky feeling that if either team were to win on Tuesday, and hopefully it will be us, then they could still put a lot of pressure on Chelsea.

"I think the losers are going to find it very difficult. It will be very difficult anyway, but I think if a team were to win the match I think that team would have the confidence to still think they could go and challenge Chelsea for the championship.

(Also posted on http://www.chitchatbola.net/blog/)