Thinking Malaysians
I used to comment to family and friends that in this country of ours, despite everything negative that has happened, its re-assuring to know that there are thinking Malaysians around who collectively gives hope for a better Malaysia.
Today, I came across another one.
I.I. of Petaling Jaya wrote about the influence of Harry Potter as it affects his family, which I think could also be relevant to many of us. His letter in the NST can be read in full here but I like to reproduce an extract here -
"Brought up as a typical Malay child watching black and white movies on TV, I was never remotely influenced by the magic and witchcraft of Batu Belah, Batu Bertangkup, Bawang Putih, Bawang Merah or Si Tanggang.
We knew then, and now, that these were the stuff of fantasy and were none the worse for the experience. What I discovered about HP was the magic that it wrought on my daughters: before they refused to read English, preferring Malay novellas.
Now I can say proudly that their English is as good as their Bahasa Malaysia. For that, I thank you , J.K. Rowling. That really was the magic, apart from giving my family a pleasant diversion from the violence-ridden fare offered in the media,"
That really is being broad-minded.
<< Home